Enjoy your time at Springbok Casino
What is gambling?
Actually there is no single, clear cut definition of what gambling is but it is widely agreed that:
- Two or more people agree to take part in the activity (usually an operator and the person who wishes to gamble)
- Normally money (the 'stake') is paid by the loser to the winner
- The outcome is uncertain
- The result is determined at least partly by chance
- Participation is an active experience but can be avoided by not taking part.
A brief history
- 2000 BC Egyptians used knucklebones as four sided dice
- 1500 BC in China, spinning discs were used to play an early roulette game
- 210 AD the first recorded horse race took place in England
- 1588 the first lottery was approved in Britain by Elizabeth I
- 1895 Charles Fey, a mechanic from San Francisco produced the first slot machine
- 1906 gambling in public was prohibited by the Street Betting Act
- 1931 gambling is legalized in Nevada
- 1957 Gamblers Anonymous was founded in the US
We want people to enjoy their recreation and spare time, but do not forget that being responsible is key to staying safe, out of trouble and making sure things remain fun.
- You’re buying fun, not investing your money
- Before playing, set strict limits on how much time and money you’re going to spend
- Quit while you’re ahead
- Only gamble with money you can afford to lose
- Don’t spend more money on gambling with the hope to win back money that you have lost
- Keep up other interests and hobbies – don’t let gambling take over your life
- Don’t gamble in order to escape from stress or boredom
- Gambling in moderation is okay
- The key is… if you choose to gamble, gamble responsibly!
For more information on responsible gambling please visit gamblersanonymous.org